Furry friends are interesting part of our families and they keep us active and improve our social lives. Dogs and cats are common pets in most homes. However, pet owners who have hardwood floors are constantly faced with pets mess related issues like urine, poop, vomit and scratches.
Hardwood floors create exquisite decoration and delightful looks in a house. Although rated as the strongest and most durable, wooden floors are highly vulnerable when exposed to water, moisture or harsh cleaning chemicals.
Dog urine can ruin a hardwood floor especially when not cleared immediately. Urine can react with or penetrates the finish and dry out to form a stain or spot.
Large quantities of urine can get absorbed into the wood and cause it to swell, warp or buckle. The strong and lingering odor of urine is also something you cannot withstand. Therefore, how do you clean dog urine soaked into hardwood floors?
How to get Rid of Pet Urine and Odor
Timing is very important in dealing with any critical situation. Getting urine out of a wood floor before it dries out is the best thing to do. By doing so, you will be preventing the urine from wreaking havoc on your wood floor.
Dried urine stains and odor is very difficult to clear from wood, and this may force you to use methods that may not be friendly to your wood floor. However, here is how to get dog urine out of hardwood floor before it dries:
- Put on gloves and grab your paper towels. Gently place them on the urine puddle as you soak as much as you can. Remove towels if they get wet and continue blotting with dry ones. Rinse the area using a damp towel cloth and dry out using a towel.
- Now deal with odor completely even if you don’t smell it yourself. If your canine friend smells it, she will keep coming back to urinate at the same spot. How to do it:
- While the area is still damp, sprinkle some generous amount of baking soda onto the spot. Let the baking soda soak overnight or for at least 8 hours. Vacuum it up using a vacuum that will not scratch your floor. Baking soda is a natural deodorizer and effectively removes persistent odor.
After removing out the urine, disinfect your hardwood floor to remove any bacteria or household germs. Use a safe hardwood floor cleaner to mop the entire floor.Always use gloves when handling pet mess such as poop, vomit or urine to avoid infections.
Removing Dry Dog Urine Stain
Soaked and dried up urine can have serious effects on your hardwood floor. It can either discolor the your wood or form a stain spot. The mess will engulf your house to make it have a pungent ammonia smell.
Before removing the stain or discolored spot, clean it using a mixture of water and white vinegar. Mix ½ a cup of white vinegar with an equal amount of water. Use a soft towel or a sponge to apply the solution on the area and let it stay for 10 minutes before drying out with a dry towel. This helps in removal of the top layer of the dried up urine from the floor.
Proceed with the following steps to remove dry urine stain:
- Sanding off the finish: Use an 80 to 100 grit sandpaper to sand the finish. The stain might be removed without getting dipper into the wood. If the stain is still persistent see the next step
- Bleaching with Hydrogen Peroxide: Sprinkle a little amount of hydrogen peroxide on the spot and when it stops foaming, use a sponge to rub it into the urine stain. If no change, repeat the process for about three time until the area is clear.
- Stronger Bleach: If hydrogen peroxide is unable to remove the stain, you may want to try a stronger bleach such as chlorine solution or solution oxalic acid. Mix your desired bleach with water and apply on the stain using a sponge or towel cloth and let it stay for 5 minutes. Apply some baking soda to neutralize it and rinse with water. Dry the area and wait for it to dry completely before refinishing.
- Refinish and staining: Removing stains from hardwood floor may leave the area looking different from the rest of the surface or damaging the finish. For that reason, you will be required to refinish and stain the area. Here is how to do it:
- Sand or buff the area with No.2 fine steel wool or soft grit sand paper
- Vacuum and wipe the area with a damp cloth to remove the particles and let it dry completely
- Apply your desired color of wood stain and let it dry before you apply a second coat
- Finish by applying a clear top coat of polyurethane, varnish, wood wax or your desired finish
Best Cleaner for Dog Urine on Hardwood Floors
Most pet owners will think about rushing to the shop to obtain the most sophisticated cleaner for dog urine. This should not be the case especially if you think of the harsh chemical ingredients in such products. Such products can be dangerous to your pet as well as.
Although you will find a cleaner for pet mess in a local pet store, commonly used and highly affordable and safe cleaners include the following:
- Vinegar Solution: This is a natural disinfectant used in most homes for cleaning hardwood floors. It is tough on odor, and easily dissolves dirt and grime thus suitable for wet pet mess and odor.
- Baking soda solution: A perfect cleaner that is effective in pulling out odor and stains from wood floors.
- Hydrogen peroxide: This is a perfect solution for clearing tough stains such as dry pet urine spot.
NOTE: Baking soda and hydrogen peroxide may lighten or discolor your wood floor. You may be required to stain and refinish your wood floor after use. Safety is also important while dealing with strong cleaners. Use gloves and if possible gas mask. Do not use around pets and children.
Enzyme Based Cleaners for Pet urine and Odor
A bottle of enzyme based floor cleaner from a local pet store can also be used to instantly remove odor and urine stains from your wooden floor. Be sure to read instructions before using. Some of the best enzymatic cleaners for pet mess on hardwood floors include the following:
1. Rocco & Roxie Professional Strength Stain & Odor Eliminator
This is an enzyme powered reliable pet urine odor and stain remover which is certified gentle and safe to use on many materials and surfaces including hardwood floors and other types of floors such as tiles, concrete, vinyl and more. Being color-free you should not worry about it staining your white carpet or upholstery.
Rocco & Roxie Professional Strength Stain & Odor Eliminator does not contain chlorine, bleach and ammonia, thus safe to use around pets and children. The cleaner is highly effective for removing pet odor and stains from carpets, furniture, clothing, upholstery and even litter boxes. It can also be used for sanitizing kennels, pet carriers, living and sleeping areas.
The spray is formulated with natural enzymatic bacteria which acts on contact with odors and stains. That is from stinky yellow pet urine, vomit, feces and other household organic spills. To use, simply spray directly on the stain or smelling area, after 10 minutes your floor or house will be smelling fresh again.
2. Nature’s Miracle Hard Floor Cleaner
This is a pocket friendly bio-enzymatic formula that removes stain and odor from your sealed hardwood floors without any damage. It has no bleach or ammonia thus safe to use around pets and home. Other than wood, you can also use it to deep clean vinyl, ceramic tile and linoleum surfaces.
However, you have been cautioned against using this product for laundry, cushioned furniture and other soft surfaces. Before you use, see back of the product for instructions on how to use, store and any precaution.
3. BUBBAS Super Strength Commercial Enzyme Cleaner – Pet Odor Eliminator
For cleaning of large areas and removal of big messes , this is all you need to restore fresh air around at a budget friendly cost. The enzyme cleaner is formulated with dormant bacteria that becomes active on contact with strong smell and stains on your flooring, furniture, area rugs, upholstery and carpets.
This formula is safe to use around kids and pets. You can also use it for cleaning your house, kitchen, bathroom, laundry room, litter box among other areas. It easily removes all gross stains ranging from your dog or cat urine to throw up and feces. Use as directed on the label.
4. Simple Solution Hardfloor Pet Stain & Odor Remover
The spray is designed to remove dog and cat stains, urine, feces from sealed hardwood floors, vinyl, ceramic, stone floors, brick, linoleum and concrete. The dual action formula also protects your floors from future stains by preventing pet remarking of the area.
The multi-functional sprayer offers versatile cleaning when tackling odor and stains. The 3 in 1 nozzle can squirt stream, foam or mist on setting. Use according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
Training your pet and regular veterinary checks can help in preventing accidental pet mess in your house. If it happens, it is important to act immediately. Removing dog urine soaked into hardwood floors after it has dried can be hard and may require you to hire a professional.