Wood floors take a lot of wear and tear, and repairing or replacing wood floors can be expensive. You have to clean them regularly, and in the proper way. Before you dive into the job, consider learning the basics of wood floor maintenance. In this post, we are going to discuss how to clean wood floors without streaks. Check out WFC for all your maintenance tips.
Ways to Clean and Maintain Flooring
- Use a soft-bristled broom. To do the job swiftly and get into corners, take preemptive action. Consider using an angled broom, and make sure the bristles are soft.
- Use a soft floor nozzle to vacuum. Brush rolls and carpet beaters can damage the finish. So, use a robotic vacuum. Choose one that lasts at least an hour. You will end up taking a lot of time to finish the job if you have to recharge the tool in the middle of vacuuming.
- Use a damp clean cloth to remove sticky debris. To remove sticky debris, you have to use a wood floor cleaner and rub vigorously. Use a microfiber mop head to lift off pet hair and dust. Move the mop head with the grain.
- Use a damp mop with a microfiber pad. A spray bottle can help you control the amount of cleaning solution. Aim for a gentle squirt or a heavy mist, but do not rinse or buff. You can get the job done with soft socks or cloth diapers.
Ways to Avoid Streaks and Major Damage
Do not ignore sticky or wet spills. You should take sticky or wet spills seriously because most often they leave permanent marks. So, wipe them as soon as an accident happens.
- Avoid using heavy equipment. Do not use a broom designed for cleaning the garage floor, or a floor-cleaning machine meant for tougher floors. Heavy equipment can damage the finish.
- Do not flood the zone. Overly wet mops and standing water can leave moisture between boards. This moisture, over time, can damage the wood.
- Avoid steam cleaning. Steam cleaning is never recommended for cleaning wood floors. This cleaning method is for linoleum, tile, and vinyl.
Tips for Avoiding Streaks
- Using more soap is not the way to go. If you take the route, you will find the job even harder, because the soap will saturate the mop pads pretty quickly. It will also leave streaks. If you want to learn how to clean wood floors without streaks, it is an important thing to remember. The key is to prevent streaks from forming in the first place.
- Dirty water will not dry onto the floors if you mop the floor in small sections.
- Rinse the mop frequently to release soapy and dirty water. You can also consider switching them out.
- Make sure the mop is reasonably clean. Do not just smear dirty water on the floor.
Cleaning Wood Floors with Vinegar
Vinegar is a natural, inexpensive and safe cleaner for wood floors. You can easily make a cleaning solution by mixing some apple cider vinegar with warm water. However, you can get the job done with white vinegar as well. To mask the scent of vinegar, consider adding a little essential oil to the mixture.
This DIY solution is safe for children and pets. So, you do not have to be super careful. Unlike chemical-based or store-bought cleaning products, this solution will not leave a film.
Before you apply the solution, clean the surface by removing dust particles. You can use a vacuum cleaner if you want. After that, dip a flat mop into the mixture and start cleaning. Make sure that the wood floor is not too wet because that can lead to warping or deterioration.
If you are cleaning finished wood floors, you may not need to use vinegar. You can do it with water only. Now we will show you how to do that.
Cleaning Wood Floors without Water
It is pretty easy to clean wood floors without water. For this, you will need a product like Mop Hard Floor Cleaner or Method Squirt. Cleaning with these products does not require rinsing. It does not leave a sticky residue, so you will not have to spend time trying to figure out how to clean wood floors without streaks.
You will find it easy to dispense the product if you use a shower spray nozzle. This nozzle will give you control over the amount of product you use. And the product has a fresh scent.
Cleaning Unsealed Hardwood Floors
Unsealed wood floors absorb water to a greater extent, and that has an impact on the overall durability of the floors. To make sure that build-up is not too much, you can use a dust mop. Replace the dust mop with a damp microfiber cloth when deeper cleaning is needed. Use a dry microfiber cloth to dry the floors.
How to Keep Your Wood Floors Clean
Wood flooring can get filthy pretty quickly. A pair of muddy shoes or a spill can become a nuisance. Preventing messes is the best way to keep your wood floors clean. Ideally, you should prevent your wood floors from getting dirty in the first place so that you do not have to learn how to clean wood floors without streaks.
Consider making your indoors a shoe-free zone. And if that is not possible, use a doormat. Encourage everyone to wipe their feet before entering inside. Set the same rules for your pets. When it comes to keeping your indoors clean, this simple act can do wonders.
Wood floors can get dirty more quickly, and that is why you have to be more careful about maintenance. Properly cleaned wood floors last longer, and you can ensure that by using the right equipment. We hope you will follow the above tips and get the best results.