Dyson vacuum cleaners were invented by James Dyson of Norfolk, England, who invented the cyclonic technology upon which the cleaner relies. Many other vacuum cleaners also rely on this technology.
Dyson was the first to introduce a bagless vacuum cleaner, which other brands subsequently embraced. Since then, Dyson has introduced other features to their vacuums, including cordless, handheld, canister and upright. These vacuums can be invaluable for keeping your wood floors clean, but knowing which one to pick isn't always easy. So, we've done the legwork for you. Behold: Here are the best Dyson vacuums for hard wood floors.
Which Dyson Vacuum is Best for Hardwood Floors?
Choosing the best cleaner among the wide variety of the Dyson cleaners can be complex. So, the discussion below will dwell on each of the different types of Dyson vacuum cleaners so that you can make an informed choice when buying one.
Based on versatility, technology and critical features, we found the following as the top rated Dyson vacuum cleaners:
Top 3 Most Effective
OUR TOP PICK
OUR TOP PICK
Although Dyson vacuum cleaners users rated this the second-best cordless stick vacuum cleaner overall behind the Dyson V8 absolute cord-free stick vacuum cleaner, it's our top pick for the best Dyson cordless vacuum cleaner for hardwood floors.
This vacuum is not just meant for hardwood floors — it also does a spectacular job on soft floor surfaces like carpets when you add the soft roller cleaner head separately to prevent scratching the floor. This makes it more versatile than its V6 predecessor that lacked this valuable add-on.
It has run time of about 40 minutes depending on whether you're using the deep or light cleaning mode. It can be converted into a handheld for use in the hard to reach spaces below the furniture. This is made possible by the use of a long, rigid tube which attaches to the main body. It also has two cleaning modes: motorized and turbo modes.
Motorized cleaning is for normal cleaning, while turbo cleaning mode is for deep cleaning. What makes this cleaner even more appealing is the fact that its direct drive floorhead ensures a thorough cleaning, picking up even the smallest dust particles as well as pet hair.
- Cleans very thoroughly — even pet hair.
- Suitable for multiple floor types because of the separate soft roller cleaner.
- Features strong suction power, making it suitable for light and heavy cleaning.
- More expensive than similar models, most probably because of the separate soft roller cleaner head. Users will need to buy the separate soft roller cleaner head to use on soft floor surfaces like carpet.
Dyson vacuum cleaners have rated this as the best cordless Dyson vacuum cleaner because of its amazing features. The fact that it is cordless makes it most suitable for cleaning raised surfaces like stairs as well as tricky and hard-to-clean surfaces like your PC keyboard or car floor.
Instead of a cord, it is designed in such a way that you can adjust the handle from long to short. This design feature makes it suitable for cleaning even the hardest-to-reach surfaces like below furniture.
This vacuum comes with two different head types: one for hard floor surfaces like hardwood and the other for soft floor surfaces like carpets. The vacuum is designed to keep running for around 40 minutes of uninterrupted cleaning time when it is on low cleaning mode.
But when you switch to the heavy-duty cleaning mode during emergency cleaning, it may only last up to 7 minutes. It comes with HEPA filtration technology, which ensures that no piece of dirt particles or dust is left lying on the floor.
- Extra HEPA filtration, very effective for the tiniest particles of dust.
- Two interchangeable cleaning modes for deep and light cleaning.
- Adjustable and handheld, making it suitable for hard to reach and raised surfaces.
- Running time could be longer.
- Relatively small bin volume, which means that it will need to be emptied often.
- Not suitable for cleaning large areas in one go due to its short running time.
Verdict: It is an upgrade of its predecessor, the V6. Although it doesn't stand head and shoulders over other Dysons, it still does an excellent job as a traditional vacuum cleaner.
This type of Dyson has more run time than its predecessor, the V8. Namely, there's 56 minutes of non-interrupted run time, making it possible to clean more square footage in larger rooms.
The 56-minute run time is for the motorized cleaning mode. The maximum cleaning mode, on the other hand, can eat up enough power to drain the battery in six minutes. That's a pretty fair indicator of just how powerful it is.
There's a design feature you'll love: Its long stick makes the cleaner suitable for cleaning even in the most hidden surfaces of the room like under furniture.
It weighs just 5.9 pounds and is 49 inches long, making it light enough to use with one hand. It has a clear plastic waste bin and a trigger on the handle, making it very simple to operate — even on the carpets.
It does an excellent job on tile floors, especially along the edges and corners — something that makes it very popular among most Dyson vacuum cleaners. Although it cannot compare with other Dysons that are more advanced and upgraded, it still does an excellent job of picking up dirt from the floor, including the smallest particles as well as debris.
- Longer run time than its predecessor, the V8.
- Small and light, making it easy to use with just one hand.
- Compared to its predecessor, the Dyson V8, the Dyson V10 has more suction power, making very effective for picking up dirt and pet hairs from the floor.
- Relatively expensive compared to its performance.
- Lacks an ON/OFF button, and instead it has a trigger button on the handle which can make using it it difficult for people who do not have strong hands.
- Louder than most Dysons, meaning that it is not suitable for quiet places like office floors.
This Dyson is cordless, meaning that it's very mobile. It has a motorized cleaning head with hard bristles for cleaning through carpets and soft carbon fiber filaments for use on hardwood floors to avoid scratching and damage. It is also suitable for cleaning along the edges of a floor since its bristles cover the whole head, which allows it to roll around the edges.
The cleaner weighs just a few pounds and is small, so it's suitable for just about any room and won't make users tired. It also does not require a lot of storage space, so it's ideal for homes with limited space.
To top it all off, it has a convertible feature that allows you to turn it into a handheld vacuum so you can clean the hard to reach areas of the house. This is your best option for a Dyson if you are looking for the comfort of a handheld and cord-free vacuum cleaner in one package. What makes this cleaner so popular is from the fact that it is inexpensive despite its amazing features.
- Cordless, hence less inconvenient for moving around.
- Suitable for cleaning different flooring materials.
- More affordable than other Dyson cleaners.
- Can clean even along the edges of a floor.
- Small waste bin that requires frequent emptying.
- Relatively low run time compared to other Dysons: just 20 minutes.
- Will require frequent recharging.
The handheld and the cleaning head are connected by one big ball called a "dime," which allows you to turn the cleaner in all directions by just twisting your wrist. The cleaner also comes with a self-adjusting cleaner head that switches according to the type of flooring material.
The long-reach hose and wand integrate in one single action that makes the cleaner suitable for cleaning the ceiling as well as hidden spots under the furniture. It is fitted with HEPA filtration technology that ensures maximum filtration so your room stays as clean as possible.
The filtration also picks allergens from the floor, helping mitigate allergies and respiratory-related conditions like asthma. It relies on the radiant cyclone technology to pick up even the tiniest dirt particles and the finest dust from the floor.
Furthermore, you do not have to come into contact with the debris in the waste bin: Just press a button and the bin opens up so you can empty the dirt into a dumpster. The manufacturer is so confident in the quality of the cleaner they give a 5-year warranty on the cleaner.
- Protects from the risks of allergens by eliminating all allergens from your floor.
- Suitable for multiple types of floors.
- Fitted with HEPA filtration technology for maximum aeration.
- Suitable for hard-to-reach spots on the floor and ceiling, made possible by the wand and long-reach hose release action.
- Has a hygienic waste bin where you simply press a button to release the dirt debris into a dumpster without having to touch the waste.
- Features radiant robot cyclone technology that ensures a thorough cleaning.
- Does not have a lift-away canister, which reduces its portability.
- Heavier when compared to other Dyson vacuum cleaners, though still easy to use in high areas.
If you are looking for a Dyson with great performance at a relatively low price, look no further. This unit has twice the suction power of any cordless vacuum and at a very reasonable price. This high suction power ensures that it cleans your floor to the maximum, getting every last speck off the floor.
It has an LED screen which indicates the remaining time so you can schedule your cleaning time effectively. It has a long running time of about 60 minutes, which allows you to do your cleaning without many interruptions. However, the runtime may decrease depending on the cleaning mode that you are operating on.
Its high torque cleaner adjusts automatically to accommodate multi types of flooring materials when operating on auto mode. Pet lovers take note: It is suitable for cleaning pet hair from the hardwood and carpet floors.
The good thing with this type of Dyson vacuum cleaner is that it can transform into a handheld so you can reach even the out-of-reach surfaces like the ceiling and under furniture. It also has a hygienic waste bin, meaning that you do not come into contact with the debris. Simply press a button to open the bin and empty the contents into a dumpster.
- Inexpensive considering its amazing features.
- Has a hygienic emptying bin so you are free from germs.
- You can monitor the remaining run time on the LED screen.
- Has double suction power.
- Has a relatively high run time.
- Is designed to automatically switch between the three cleaning modes.
- Is a bit loud due to its power.
- Is more expensive than its predecessor, the Dyson V10.
Just like other Dyson ball vacuum cleaners, this one too relies on ball technology that makes the cleaner maneuver in any direction when you twist your wrist. It comes with a tangle-free tool for cleaning raised surfaces as well as furniture surfaces. It also comes with an extra tool for cleaning the stairs without tangling.
This cleaner is also suitable for hard-to-reach surfaces like the ceiling and below furniture. Its suction power relies on radiant cyclone technology to pick up dirt and dust particles from floor surfaces. This ensures maximum suction of dirt to such an extent that your floor is left sparkling clean.
Its cleaner is made to adjust by itself when it comes into contact with different flooring material when cleaning. It also helps to automatically switch between the three different cleaning modes depending on the texture of the flooring material.
Most importantly, it is fitted with a HEPA filtration system to allow for maximum filtration of the air as well as removal of allergens from your floor and as well as the air around.
- Has more suction than most Dyson cleaners like its predecessor Ball Animal 2.
- Is rated the best Dyson vacuum for cleaning pet hair and allergens.
- Has extra cleaning tools for other types of cleaning.
- Has an extended run time.
- Has a hygienic emptying waste bin so that you do not have to touch the dirt.
- Is quite expensive compared to others.
- Is on the heavy side for an upright handheld.
- The extra cleaning tools can be complicated to connect.
Best Dyson Vacuums for Hardwood Floors Buying Guide
You should be on the lookout for a vacuum with a self-adjusting cleaning head because this will switch automatically to soft microfiber filaments when it comes into contact with a hardwood floor. This will help protect the hardwood sealant layer from damage through scratching.
Furthermore, the cleaning head should be able to swivel in all directions when cleaning to avoid dragging the cleaner. Dragging the cleaner can lead to scratches on your floor.
Weight of the cleaner
When dealing with a hardwood floor, weight is a critical factor since too much of it could damage the floor. Bulky, heavy vacuums can exert unwanted pressure on wood floors. To avoid this, look for a small and light Dyson cleaner.
Vacuum style is another important factor to consider when buying a Dyson cleaner for your hardwood floor. As we discussed above, the vacuum style includes factors like suction technology and filtration mode.
The best suction comes from cyclone root technology, while the HEPA filtration system will ensure maximum filtration and pick up bacteria and allergens from the floor. Hey, remember: A cleaner floor lasts longer, too.
Extra cleaning tools
To ensure that your hardwood floor is sparkling clean, you should look for a Dyson cleaner that comes with some extra separate cleaning tools. These do not come with every Dyson vacuum, but just a few, like the DC65 multi cleaner. These will help clean the most of your hardwood floors regardless of its square footage.
A sparkling hardwood floor is not just appealing, but it is also healthy since allergens and bacteria will have no chance of thriving. This will also protect the wood from rotting, thus extending its lifespan.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can Dyson be used on Hardwood Floors?
Dyson cannot damage hardwood floors since they all come with a self-adjusting cleaning head that changes modes when they come into contact with different floor materials. The cleaning pad is made of soft microfiber for use on hardwood floors to prevent damaging the sealant.
The cleaning pad also has hard scrubbing bristles for use on hard stains on soft floor types like the carpet. Upon coming into contact with a hardwood floor, the cleaner automatically adjusts to the soft microfiber and lowers the hard bristles when it returns to cleaning carpet.
All Dysons rely on cyclone root technology to suck up dirt and dust from the floor instead of scrubbing the floor. This means your hardwood floor's sealant will not be damaged or scratched. The cleaners are also very light and small to ensure that they do not exert extra weight that could damage the hardwood floor.
How do I deep clean my Dyson vacuum?
A dirty vacuum can spread germs, allergens, dust, and sometimes mold. Deep cleaning a vacuum after a cleaning job is time well spent. However, before cleaning, your tool, read the manufacturer’s guidelines for things to avoid. Here's a basic how-to for vacuum deep cleaning:
- Unplug the machine from power
- Empty the canister into the trash can
- Remove the canister and clean all dirt on the cyclone using a mild detergent
- Rinse the canister and wipe it dry
- Remove all the filters from the vacuum
- Rinse the filters under cold water as you turn them over
- Let the filters air dry completely before fixing them beck
- Clean the outside of a vacuum using a damp piece of cloth
Which Dyson attachment is for hard floors?
The articulating tool is designed for hard floors. It is comprised of a swiveling brush head with an ultra-slim profile that easily reaches tight and difficult spaces. The soft nylon brush sets of the tool are designed to effectively remove dust and allergens as they prevent suction leaks. These brushes are soft and gentle to protect wood, vinyl, and other delicate floor coverings.
What tools are in the Dyson deep clean kit?
In the kit you will find a dusting brush with a pliable wide-spaced bristle that is used to gently remove dust from delicate areas. There is also a stiff-angled bristle brush that creates a flicking motion during cleaning to agitate dirt from carpet and direct it into airflow.
Additionally, you will have a multi-angled brush that is set in different angles to effectively clean high-up areas of your home such as the walls and ceiling.