Hardwood floors enhance the look of a home by adding a touch of style, warmth, and beauty.
To maintain the elegance, proper cleaning and maintenance is mandatory. While hardwood floors are known to be strong and durable, simple negligence can wreak havoc.
Wood flooring experts recommends regular dusting as a way of adding life to your floors. Dusting is traditionally done by sweeping with a broom, but can also be followed by vacuum cleaning.
Water-based methods such as wet mopping and steam cleaning are discouraged. Wood is a natural material that absorbs water, swells, warps, and even decomposes when exposed.
There is a wide range of vacuums for cleaning hardwood floors such as robotic, cordless, stick, and mop combos among others.
In this guide, we'll explore the best cordless vacuum for hardwood floors, how to choose one, use and maintain your vacuum.
Best Cordless Vacuums for Hardwood Floors
OUR TOP PICK
Dyson Cyclone V10 is a cordless versatile vacuum that has strong suction power for deep cleaning your hardwood floors or carpet.
With advanced features, it is effective in sucking up fine and large dirt debris — even when compared to other Dyson vacuums. The smallest, lightweight, and most powerful motor makes it one of a kind. It rolls over and rotates sticky debris into its suction zone.
The three-power mode is set according to the task. Dyson Cyclone V10 can easily be transformed into a handheld version for maneuverability. The motorized soft roller head is designed for hardwood floors, so it can be used without causing scratches, or wear and tear.
For carpet cleaning, you can change the mode and enjoy the powerful Torque Drive Cleaning Head that has stiff bristles that digs out every bit of small debris.
- Has the most powerful suction that makes it suitable for deep cleaning.
- Dyson Cyclone V10 is lightweight, so it can easily be used around the home conveniently.
- You can easily convert it to handheld, making it ideal for surfaces above the floor as well as your car.
- Has a large debris container, making it easy to clean large surface areas without needing to dump the debris.
- Has a soft roller head suitable for hardwood floors.
- Can be operated in different modes depending on the nature of the surface.
- Suitable for dealing with pet mess on a carpet or floor surface.
- Best when you have both hardwood floors and carpet in your home.
- Not easy to swap battery.
- Turns off when you stop pressing the power trigger.
- The handheld unit is large, thus inconvenient in tight areas.
- 60 minute runtime is only in low power mode.
- Low suction when in low power mode.
- Dyson Cyclone V10 is not free standing.
This is one of the best hardwood floor cordless vacuum that you can go for.
The power, versatility, and advanced technology cannot disappoint. Follow the user manual as directed by the manufacturer.
This is a versatile upright vacuum for deep cleaning your home with the convenience of cordless operation, unlike a traditional upright vacuum.
It has strong features that give it advantages over other machines. The duo clean feature with two brush rolls on one power head make this machine perfect for the task.
Three cleaning modes — hard floor mode, hand lift away, and carpet mode are enabled by pressing a button near the grip to change how the rollers move.
- The strong suction makes it an ideal machine for quick removal of dirt, debris, pet hair, and tough mess from hardwood floors or carpet.
- The removable battery cane be charged while in or out of the vacuum and has up to 50 minutes of runtime.
- It has three versatile modes of cleaning: upright vacuum mode for deep cleaning carpets and floors, stick mode for under furniture, and hand held mode for small and hard-to-reach places.
- Utilizes the DuoClean Technology — one power head with two brush rolls for effective cleaning of fine dust and large debris on hardwood floors and carpets.
- Anti-Allergen system that captures and filters allergen particles as small as 0.3 microns.
- It has bright LED Headlamps which can help you spot the dirt in dark areas.
- Freestanding, thus convenient for storage.
- Has a 5-year SharkNinja Warranty, 2 Years on battery.
- A relatively quiet vacuum
- Has a reasonably good run time
- Maneuverability is good
- Easy to use due to controls on handles
- Has a spacious dust canister
- Dual clean technology is effective on large debris
- Cleans carpet and bare floors
- Headlights that illuminates dark areas
- Removable battery allows swapping for long run time
- High end filtration perfectly cleans air
- The 50 minutes run time is only in one configuration
- The brush rolls cannot be turned off
- It lacks a powered tool for deep cleaning and upholstery
- Short hose of up to 5 feet
- Not perfect for edge cleaning
- Not stable standing upright
This Shark Lightweight Upright Vacuum does a splendid job with a lot of convenience as compared to most upright vacuums. It handles nicely all types of carpets and hard floors.
When dealing with hardwood floors you need to be careful about the brush rolls to avoid scratching your floor. We therefore recommend this machine for your home cleaning. Always strictly follow the manufacturer’s regulations, terms, and conditions to keep the warranty viable.
This is a new model on the market by a division of Ecovacs, the long-established maker of famous Ecovacs robotic vacuums.
Equipped with a strong digital motor, it is effective in cleaning hardwood floors and carpets. Large and small debris, including dry pet food, hair, cereal, and embedded dirt are easily removed by this machine.
It includes a motorized hard floor brush and a motorized carpet brush for multipurpose cleaning.
The HEPA-Level filtration removes 99.9% of all allergy-causing particles. The Mini Power Brush is an important attachment that makes it easy to clean carpeted stairs. It has an easy-to-empty dust bin that's sufficient to the task. It comes with a 2-in-1 dusting brush, a crevice tool, and a mini power brush.
- Can conveniently be converted to handheld mode for cleaning small areas.
- Tineco A10 Master come with a mini power brush for vertical cleaning.
- Has 2 batteries with 2 charging stations, giving you a total of 50 minutes of cleaning.
- Has LED lights that let you see dirt well when cleaning dark, hidden areas.
- Has powerful suction, even for the most fine dirt debris.
- Has a fully sealed filtration system that locks in small allergen-causing particles.
- Is lightweight and easy to operate.
- Is quiet during operation.
- You can vacuum without continuously holding on the button.
- Comes with 2 heads: one for hardwood floors and one for carpet cleaning.
- Maneuverable even in tight areas.
- Has a 2-year warranty.
- Has a small dust container, although easy to empty,
- Does not stand alone.
- Non-powered tools are compression fit.
- Cleaner head lifts off the floor when the machine is laid horizontal.
- Does not include a bare floor cleaner head.
- Steering is not so perfect.
- Edge cleaning with cleaner head is weak.
If you want to experience change in your cleaning routine, go for Tineco A10 Master Cordless Stick Vacuum at a budget friendly price.
Being a new product on the market, we are still gathering more on people's opinions.
A versatile cordless vacuum cleaner is one of the best releases by SharkNinja.
This is a multiple floor cleaner that effectively collects all dirt and debris from hardwood floors, carpets, and above-floor areas. Important features include:
- Duo clean technology, which includes two brush rolls: a stiff bristle brush for carpet and a soft brush roll for hardwood floors.
- Strong suction power that collects every bit of dust and fine to large debris.
- Removable battery that gives 40 minutes of cleaning time, which can be easily swapped when depleted to give a total of 80 minutes runtime.
- Handheld 2-in-1 cordless has IONFlex feature that makes the jointed wand flexible, making it easy to reach under furniture.
- Power settings can change to suit your cleaning needs depending on what surface you are dealing with.
- Easily convertible to handheld vacuum for floor-to-ceiling versatility.
- It includes an anti-allergen dusting brush, a duster crevice tool, an upholstery tool, one lithium battery, and a charger. The second battery is sold separately.
- The machine is free-standing with compact storage.
- Has a 5 Year SharkNinja Limited Warranty.
- Works well on carpet and hardwood floors
- Has great versatility
- Good run time plus a swappable battery
- Free-Standing Parking
- 5-Year Warranty, 2 Years for Battery
- Non-HEPA filtration
- Vacuum exhibits slight resistance on the back stroke when cleaning a carpet
This is yet another excellent cordless vacuum from Shark that you will not go wrong with. The features have been carefully selected to meet the user’s needs.
With a 5-year warranty, this is a machine you should consider.
This is a 2-in-1 handheld upright stick vacuum cleaner that is great for deep cleaning your hardwood floor.
It has extra suction power created by a Turbo Mode for speedy removal of pet hairs, dirt, and dust from carpets and rugs. The six LED Lights ensure the dark paths around corners and under furniture are brightened for effective cleaning. The wheels are padded or wrapped with rubber to prevent scratching the floor.
Roomie Tec Cordless Vacuum Cleaner can easily be carried to different areas such sofas, beds, curtains, the car, and difficult-to-reach corners.
This highly versatile cleaner has a 180-degree rotating brush for easy maneuverability. With a long battery life of 23 minutes of uninterrupted cleaning, you can tackle a large area. It is a budget-friendly vacuum that has a one year warranty.
- Lightweight and flexible against the base
- Picks up all dirt on hardwood floor quickly
- Easy to use on other surfaces such as couches and beds
- Not noisy and does not scare cats or toddlers
- Easy to assemble and use
- Has two dedicated motors
- The six LED lights illuminate the vacuuming path
- Foldable handle means easy storage
- Good on both hard floors and carpets
- Has a washable filter
- You go through a filter to empty a canister
- To get rid of the tangled hair, you need to manually clean the beater
This is a great machine you can have for deep cleaning your home.
Eureka NEC122A PowerPlush Cordless 2-in-1 stick vacuum is a lightweight and maneuverable vacuum that deep cleans hard floors, carpets, and area rugs of your home easily.
It has good performance, is easy to use, and features advanced...well, features.
- Easy-to-empty dust cups: simply press the release button
- One-touch power button to start the machine
- Swivel steering that is self-propelled
- Motorized nozzle for easy maneuvering
- Highly portable due to light weight
- Wall mount for storage saves space
- Washable anti-allergen filters purifies the air in the house
- Detachable battery that ensures continuous powerful cleaning
- Convertible handheld cleans the floors and surfaces above easily
- Include a crevice tool and 2-in-1 upholstery tool
- Has a 2-year warranty
- Short runtime of only 15 minutes
- Dustbin is small and must be changed often while cleaning large areas
- Isn’t freestanding
This is a recommendable device for vacuuming your home. It is versatile for deep cleaning your floors and other areas with convenience.
If you have no problem with the disadvantageous features you can go for it.
Best Cordless Vacuum for Hardwood Floors Buying Guide
What to look for in a vacuum for hardwood floor
A good vacuum is an important factor in ensuring that your floor;s surface remains shiny and smooth without any scuff marks and dirt streaks.
Here is what you should be keep in mind:
The vacuum cleaner must not have hard bristles, brush rolls, or beater bars. The strong bristles are only suitable for carpet cleaning. When employed on a wood floor, the scuff marks and scratches can be regrettable.
Must have strong suction power. This will ensure all the dirt on the surface is collected in the shortest time possible.
The least power to go for is 1,000 Watts.
The battery life should be long enough to finish the task without interruptions. Just how long you need depends on the size of your home.
Your choice must have the right crevice tools. This is very necessary to clean every part of the floor as well as other areas.
The tools must be able to reach edges, small spaces, under furniture, and tight corners
Although good vacuums are somewhat expensive, you can still find a strong, versatile machine at a budget-friendly price.
A good vacuum cleaner must be of good quality that should serve at least a few years without breaking down.
How to Vacuum a Hardwood Floor – Tips
Knowing how to use your vacuum will give you a leg up in cleaning your floor and prevent disasters. You certainly don't want the unpleasant shock of seeing you've scratched your floor with your brand new vacuum.
So, here are tips and things to know before you start cleaning.
- Always take precautions such as moving large furniture out of the way, removing your shoes, and reading the user manual.
- Use the right tool for the job. A canister vacuum is better than an upright traditional vacuum. A canister vacuum has extra tools to reach corners, has padding on its head, and is also easy to carry around due to its light weight.
- When you vacuum, use smooth and light strokes. The vacuum’s power is enough to suck up the dirt without the need to use force or apply pressure. Applying extra force to the wand or nozzle can scratch your floor or damage the machine.
- Some spots may be dirtier than others, and therefore will require more power. That is why most cordless vacuums for wood floor has power options from low, medium to high. For extra-sticky debris or stains, use a microfiber cloth with a recommended solution to remove it manually.
- Always change the nozzle to the right one when dealing with small spaces and corners to avoid scratching.
- Keep the filters and airways clean, empty the dustbin when filled, and replace the brush rolls when necessary.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are answers to frequently asked questions about cordless vacuums.
What is a cordless vacuum for hardwood floor?
This is a suction cleaner without a power cord. They're often designed for hardwood floors. They use rechargeable batteries, unlike traditional corded vacuums that are connected to a power source.
Cordless vacuums are commonly referred as stick vacuums. They are usually light, easy to maneuver, and handheld. They're valuable for both cleaning floors and upper areas like shelves, furniture, and more.
Most cordless vacuums designed for carpet and hardwood floor usually have multiple power modes, adjusted according to the floor type.
Others have additional attachments for areas such as upholstery, stairs, walls, and ceilings.
What is the difference between corded and cordless vacuums?
- Cordless vacuums are light and thin compared to traditional corded vacuums. It is therefore easier to use them in tight places.
- Corded vacuums have larger dustbins than cordless, and therefore can be used longer without the need to empty the bin. For cordless, you will need to keep an eye on the level of dust and empty it when it is full.
- Corded vacuums have stronger suction power than cordless. They can be used on larger areas with a lot of debris without any problem.
- Corded vacuums are directly connected to power sources. Because cordless vacuums use rechargeable batteries, the battery may run out. This may force you to recharge or swap out the battery before continuing.
- Most cordless vacuums come with additional attachments for convenient cleaning of other areas such as stairs and hard-to-access areas. They can easily be converted to handheld for ease of use.
- Traditional corded machines are expensive compared to their counterparts. They are durable and can handle heavy tasks not suitable for cordless vacuums.
Can I use a vacuum on hardwood floors?
Vacuuming helps remove small, fine dirt and debris on floors and in air that cannot be swept by a broom. Vacuuming is highly effective for cleaning hardwood floors when it is carried out correctly with the right machine.
Don't use a traditional upright vacuum with a beater bar on hardwood floors. The beater bar can damage your wooden floor even when it is turned off.
A traditional upright vacuum, though powerful and versatile, is designed for carpets and some types of tile floors. The strong bristles get deep into carpets and pull out pet hair and other dirt. They're not recommended for hardwood floors.
Canister vacuums have a padded head that makes them gentle on floors. Being versatile, they can reach most tight places such as corners, under the furniture, and on stairs due to their adjustable pieces.
Before using, ensure the wheels are padded. The only problem is assembly may take time. But they are the best choice for hardwood floors since you will not have to worry about scratches.
Robot vacuums are also classified as cordless. These are small gadgets that work on their own as scheduled. They operate with the help of installed infrared or laser sensors and cameras.
The operator may turn them on while away using a phone app or may use a remote control system. Robotic vacuums therefore are therefore highly convenient.
Is it better to sweep or vacuum hardwood floors?
Vacuuming hardwood floors is the best alternative to sweeping. When done correctly, this method removes more dirt from a floor than traditional sweeping.
Vacuums suck up even the finest dust and can reach corners, which brooms or dust mops are highly likely to miss.
It is best to vacuum before mopping. Mopping before vacuuming creates mud on the floor when the soil and residual dust get dissolved. This can make cleaning an area take a while since you have to keep replacing the dirty water in the bucket.
Brooms and mops also stir up dirt in the air. The dirt will eventually settle back on the floor and other areas around.
Worst of all, such airborne particles can affect your health or that of other household members.
How to Care for and Maintain a Vacuum Cleaner
- Frequently check and empty the dust bin while cleaning; they are small and fill fast.
- Check and ensure the cleaning heads are not clogged due to sticky debris and hair.
- The attachments and other parts included should be stored together to avoid getting lost.
- Store your machine properly after use on the wall bracket or at a recommended place free from water and dust.
The Bottom Line
Wooden floors can be permanently damaged if improperly cleaned.
Not all vacuum cleaners can be used on hardwood floors. In our guide we have picked the best you can use without worrying about scratches and damage. As long as you know how to use your machine, you're good to go.
Prices for vacuum machines vary depending on the features they have. As a buyer, think about your budget and the features you need.