Daily wear and tear, traffic, scratches and regular cleaning will eventually make the surface of your hardwood floor to appear old and dull. Polishing once in a while restores the surface sheen, add radiance and protects the finish thus making your floor to last long and appear new again.
Polishing is a simple process that only take few hours as long as you have some knowledge on how to polish hardwood floors. To get the best results, you need a trusted, tested and certified product formulated for this purpose.
In our reviews and buyer’s guide, we have in-depth details on the following as the best hardwood floor polish of the year:
- Bona Hardwood Floor Polish
- Weiman Wood Floor Polish And Restorer
- Howard Feed-N-Wax Wood Polish and Conditioner
- Quick Shine High Traffic Harwood Floor Luster and Polish
- TriNova Hardwood Floor Polish and Restorer
- Orange Glo Hard Wood Floor 4-in-1 Monthly Polish
- Pledge Revive It Floor Gloss (Clear Liquid)
- 1 Best Hardwood Floor Polish Reviews
- 1.1 1. Bona Hardwood Floor Polish (High Gloss)
- 1.2 2. Weiman Wood Floor Polish and Restorer
- 1.3 3. Howard Feed-N-Wax Wood Polish and Conditioner
- 1.4 4. Quick Shine High Traffic Hardwood Floor Luster and Polish
- 1.5 5. TriNova Hardwood Floor Polish
- 1.6 6. Orange Glo Hard Wood Floor 4-in-1 Monthly Polish
- 1.7 7. Pledge Revive It Floor Gloss
- 2 What to look for when buying a Hardwood Floor Polish
- 3 How to Polish a Wood Floor
- 4 Wood Floor Polishing FAQ
Best Hardwood Floor Polish Reviews
In this section we have gone into details to explain consumers experience to add on out tests, analysis and recommendation of the mentioned products.
1. Bona Hardwood Floor Polish (High Gloss)
Bona has a name in wood flooring products and their high gloss polish cannot go unmentioned. Bona Hardwood floor Polish is formulated to restore, shine and add beauty to the wood surface. The high gloss protective layer also reduce daily wear and tear of the finish.
The formula is designed to even out the appearance of the finish by filling in light scratches and scuff marks thus creating a fresh new look. It is easy to apply this product and given that it dries faster, you don’t need to wait for a longer time before walking on your floor.
Bona High Gloss Wood Floor Polish is Green Guard Certified and thus safe to use in your home without worrying about the family and pets. According to the manufacturers, this product should be removed from the floor every 4-6 months to avoid a residue buildup. Read instructions before using and ensure you are applying on a clean surface.
- Easy to use or apply
- Dries faster on the surface
- Safe on human and pets
- Clears surface imperfections
- Durable long lasting results
- Has to be removed every 4-6 months
- Not too shiny on unfinished and old surfaces
Bona products are exceptionally good and you can hardly go wrong with their polish. Be sure to follow the instructions and possible do a spot test. We recommend this product for your hardwood floors.
2. Weiman Wood Floor Polish and Restorer
This is a versatile restorative wood polish by Weiman that offers along lasting protection and beautification of your hardwood floor surface. It is formulated to remove scratches by filling in them while at the same time forming a protective high gloss scratch resistant layer.
Weiman Wood Floor Polish and Restorer is ready and easy to use. Simple apply using a microfiber on a clean wood floor for effective outcome. The results are long lasting on all hardwood floor finishes. It is approved as safe and can be used around family and pets without worrying about any possible harm.
- A reputable brand in surface care
- Clears light marks and lines
- Ready and easy to use
- Offers a lasting surface protection
- Inconveniently longer drying time
- Several applications for better outcome
Before using, carefully read the instructions. This polish may take slightly longer to dry. Like any other polish, you may have to remove it after some time to prevent build up and slickness. Use a rectangular FLAT microfiber swivel mop to apply on a clean floor surface. We found this to be among the best hardwood floor polish.
3. Howard Feed-N-Wax Wood Polish and Conditioner
Feed-N-Wax is ideal polish that provides a soft luster on finished and unfinished wood surfaces. It also offers a protective coating thus preventing the finish from wear and tear. Formulated with conditioning oils, this product helps in keeping the wood from cracking, fading and drying out.
Howard Feed-N-Wax Wood Polish and Conditioner should be used on monthly basis and every time the wood starts to appear faded or drying. The in depth of grain and natural beauty of the wood is typically enhanced by this blend of beeswax, Carnauba wax, mineral oil and orange oil.
With a single application, all the small scratches are covered and it dries to form scratch resistant layer. This product is safe to use with family and pets around, although it should not be ingested or directly applied on the skin. It should also be stored away from heat spark and flames due to its combustible nature.
- Can be used on multiple wood surfaces
- Easy and ready to use without applicators
- Preserves the wood from drying out, cracking and fading
- Even out light scratches in the finish
- The formula is safe for use around family and pets
- With time, it leaves a white residue that is hard to remove
- Foot prints can be seen on floor even when the polish has dried
Feed-N-Wax formula can be applied on multiple surfaces in your home. It is easy to use and dries faster. Being able to restore the finish and protect against scratching, we recommend this polish for your wood restoration.
4. Quick Shine High Traffic Hardwood Floor Luster and Polish
This is a product by Holloway House Company that can make your floors shiny and lustrous. It is ideal for any type of sealed wood floor and other surfaces. Carnauba wax is a key ingredient that protects, shine and polish wood floors.
Application is so much easier, you simply squirt the formula on the floor and spread with microfiber mop. It will only take a short period of time before it dries. The rich, deep and long lasting glow can go up to 3 months in areas with high traffic and 5 months on those with less activities.
For exceptional results, apply on a clean dry surface. It is also important you remove old polish before applying a new one. In terms of safety, this product has been approved as safe to use around family and pets.
- Safe to use around family
- Easy to apply
- Shine, protect and polish
- Lasts longer before applying again
- Leaves a residue if incorrectly used
- May streak on hardwood floor
It is important to follow instructions before using any product on your wood floors. This should be followed by a spot test on a hidden area of the floor. This product can be used less frequently as compared to other polishes for same results and thus we find it economical and ideal for restoring surfaces.
5. TriNova Hardwood Floor Polish
TriNova polish brings out the beauty and adds a high gloss appearance to a wooden surface. It reduces the appearance of scratches, dents and other imperfections caused by pets and other daily wear and tear. It requires no mixing or any special applicator thus easy to use.
Simple to apply using a microfiber mop or cloth and dries faster to offer a high gloss protection coating on the hardwood. What is important is to clean your floors, apply and let it dry completely before allowing in human and pets’ traffic.
- Protects and restore wood surfaces without multiple applications
- Easy to use and dries faster
- Good for people who love highly glossy surface appearance
- There are concerns of a white residue on some floors
- Your floors will appear wet or too slippery thus scary to pets and some people
This polish is ideal for floor protection and restoration although you may find it a challenge if you prefer natural finish appearance. If you have no problem with the glossy coating then we recommend it for your floors.
6. Orange Glo Hard Wood Floor 4-in-1 Monthly Polish
Polishing your floors on a monthly basis not only makes them beautiful but also makes them to last longer. Orange Glo has made this a simple process by their 4-in-1 formula that cleans, shines, protects and revitalizes. It is easy to use and dries faster.
Being experts in wood care, the company has expressed confidence in this product to have all it takes to bring out the natural beauty and protect your wood floors. They have clearly stated that, families with pets will find much comfort in using Orange Glo Hard Wood Floor 4-in-1 Monthly Polish.
- Easy to use
- Protects and shine
- Economical product
- Smells good
- There are cases of a powdery residue on some floors
Incorrect use of a polish can ruin your floors. Always read the instructions and test on a small hidden section of the floor. Despite being a cleaner, consider cleaning your hardwood floors before application. This product is easy to use, shine and protect thus good for your home cleaning.
7. Pledge Revive It Floor Gloss
Pledge is a reputable manufacturer of furniture and floor care products. Their polishing formula is effective in restoring the beauty and luster of a hardwood floor. This is a ready to use product that protect and shine floors at the same time producing a mild scent.
The instructions to use are clear and thus making it easy to use by anyone. Clean your floors to remove dirt and debris before the application. There is also a directive to remove the polish from the wood after every 6-8 applications. This will prevent formation of a residue buildup after a long time of use.
- Manufactured by a reputable company
- Easy to use without mixing or using a special applicators
- Clear instructions are provided to easy use
- Multiple surface polish that can be used on other surfaces
- Protects, shines and make your floors to smell good
- Two coats for excellent shine
- May streak if not used correctly
- Should be removed after 6-8 times of application
Pledge polish is ideal for sealed wood floors although you can also use it on other floor types such as laminate. For more excellent results, you may need to apply a second coat after the first one has completely dried. This polish is ideal especially if you are dealing with various floor types.
What to look for when buying a Hardwood Floor Polish
Here are things to consider when choosing a hardwood floor polish
- Effect on your floor type
There are two common types of hardwood floors, finished and unfinished. Each type works well with specified cleaning and shining products. Most wood floor polishes are formulated for finished wood floors with a protective seal.
It is therefore important to determine the nature of your floor finish before ordering a product. Read the manufacturer’s instructions before using and do some testing on a small hidden area of your floor. Using a wrong type of polish can give your floor a white powdery residue or a bubbled appearance.
- Effectiveness of the product
The primary purpose of a polish is to make your dull floors shinny. It is unfortunate that some products can be disappointing despite the good rating by the manufacturers. Although residue and slickness on the floor may depend with variables such as application process, moisture levels of the wood and even home temperatures.
A polish residue can dull your floors instead of making them shiny. Polish or wax buildup should be removed before applying a new layer. A residue layer can also make your hardwood floors slippery and dangerous to the residents.
An ideal wood floor polish should provide the shine and restore the sheen of the urethane finish. Read reviews, understand the ingredients and the rating of a product before buying. Although the level of shininess depends with an individual, most products will state the degree of shine they provide.
- Ease of application
The best polish for finished hardwood floors should be easy to apply and also be able to dry faster. Cleaning your floor before polishing is mandatory or else the polish will have a streaky appearance when dry. Wrong application method can also make the polish to take longer drying time than normal.
Application is commonly done using a clean mop or a dry cloth although the manufacturers may recommend other methods such as spraying or use of a microfiber cloth for a smooth surface appearance.
- Cost of the polish
The cost of polishing a hardwood floor entirely depends on the number of times you apply the product per given period of time. Some polishes are applied on monthly basis while others after 2-3 months. A more durable polish is likely to save you some money.
Polishing should protect your wood floors and reduce chances of refinishing. A suitable polish should be able to fix lighter scratches on hardwood floors. Although deep scuff marks may require sanding and refinishing.
How to Polish a Wood Floor
Polishing is a simple process that does not necessarily require a professional. Here are the steps for applying polish:
- Purchase your favorite polish and set a day to polish your floors
- Prepare the room by removing furniture and other items without scratching the floor
- Clean the floor to remove dirt and debris through moping or vacuuming
- Put on your gas mask and rubber gloves, read instructions and do a spot test on an inconspicuous area of the floor
- Partition the floor surface in your mind and begin working from the far area towards the entrance
- Using a microfiber mop, apply the polish smoothly without creating streaks
- Let the polish dry as recommended by the manufacturer before allowing in traffic
- Depending with the formula you are using, you may want to apply an additional coat after the first one has dried.
Wood Floor Polishing FAQ
Q: Can hardwood floors be polished?
A: Yes, polishing helps in restoring the surface sheen and make a hardwood floor to look shiny, beautiful and new again. It is the best alternative to sanding and refinishing. However, you should use the right polish that is safe on your floor and provides the best results.
Q: What should I do before applying a polish?
A: After choosing the best polish for your hardwood floor, clean your floors and conduct a spot test. If the results are good, then use on your entire floor. Cleaning removes dirt and debris that can affect the appearance of polish after drying.
Q: Can I polish myself or hire a professional?
A: Applying a polish is easy and you can manage yourself as long as you are using a correct product on the right type of floor finish. What you simply need to do is follow the manufacturer’s instructions for both the polish and the wood flooring.
Q: What is the best brand for a wood floor polish?
A: There are a lot of brands on the market with different results. Reviews and buyers guides can help you to know what other people say about the product. Above, we have highlighted the best brands for you.
Q: How is polishing compared to refinishing?
A: Polishing makes your wood floors to look shiny and beautiful without replacing the finish. Refinishing gives the same results but involves removing the old protective seal and applying a new one. Therefore, polishing is easy and cheap as compared to refinishing.
Q: Can you polish unfinished hardwood floors?
A: Unfinished hardwood floors have no protective seal and can easily warp or decay when exposed to moisture for some time. Polishing may also have a damaging effect although there are products formulated for such kind of floors. However, you can make unfinished wood floors shiny by waxing with a suitable product.
Hardwood floor is a pricey investment that adds beauty and value to your home. Wood floor can stand a test of time with good care and maintenance. Besides regular cleaning, polishing restores surface sheen and makes your wood to last longer. Precaution is important when trying out a new product. Always perform a spot test on a hidden area of your floor.