Cleaning wood floors surfaces can be an intimidating and overwhelming task, especially if the area is large and you do not have proper equipments. There are two main types of hardwood floor finishes, that is, surface finishes and penetrating finishes. Surface finishes forms a protective waterproof barrier on the surface of the floor and when liquids come in contact with this surface, they pool rather than penetrating the wood and therefore, it is safe to use water-based cleaning products on them.
On the other hand, penetrating finishes easily absorb water and therefore water can warp wood floors. On these types of floors it is advisable to only use solvent-based cleaning products instead of water-based product.
Now, finding the best way to clean hardwood floors will certainly take some time and patience, but with the right tools and techniques, you’ll be able to keep your floors looking best. This article provides you with relatively best technique and tools to employ in cleaning your hardwood floors.
What is the Best thing to use to clean Hardwood Floors Effectively?
- O-Cedar ProMist Microfiber Spray Mop
The O-Cider is very effecting in removing dirt from hard wood floors. The map has been designed with a powerful spraying device with a tough microfiber pad for double power punch that removes dirt and grime from smooth surface floors.
- Swiffer Sweeper Cleaner Dry and Wet Mop
Swiffer Sweeper is very flexible and simple in design. It does not have all the complicated parts and technology of the more advanced floor mops. The mop removes scuff marks from hardwood floors with only few passes.
- Bissell Spin-wave Powered Hardwood Floor and Cleaner
Bissell Spinwave is very effective in removing stain and scuff marks from the hardwood floor. It is fitted with scrubber pads with a rough surface for removal of stains. Most importantly it is cordless, in that, if you need to clean a very large area, you do not need to get disturbed of using extension cords.
- Swiffer WetJet Hardwood and Floor Spray Mop
The Wetjet Swiffer is simple, flexible and convenient mop to keep your hardwood floor clean. It has an onboard scrubbing tool which ensures that the swiffer can handle even the toughest spots on your floor.
- Bissell PowerFresh Steam Mop
Bissell PowerFresh Steam Mop is very diverse in what it can clean. It can clean not only hardwood but also, ceramic, granite and linoleum floors. This kind of flexibility makes the Bissell steam mop not only easy to use but the best for most situations.
There are various hardwood floor cleaners. Some products may damage your wooden flooring especially when not correctly used. It is recommended you read instructions before use. Test with a hidden small area before using on the entire floor. Our pick include the following:
· Orange Glo Hardwood Cleaner
This is a specially formulated for outstanding streak-free cleaning. It revitalizes hardwood floors by cleaning away dirt and grime, filling in scratches, protecting floors from water damage and leaving a long-lasting, brilliant shine.
· Babyganics Floor Cleaner Concentrate
This is a non-toxic plant-based floor cleaner concentrate with zero-harsh chemicals. It cleans without leaving any residue. This is indeed a great choice for keeping your home’s hardwood floor clean without any harsh chemical that may have a damaging effect on it.
· ZEP Commercial Hardwood and Laminate
ZEP commercial hardwood and laminated floor cleaner are designed to remove spots, stains and scuffs. It cleans and restores shine with no residue. It also leaves the floor with fresh scent. This product is suitable for use on wood, varnish, acrylic and polyurethane-finished floors, molding and cabinet doors in offices, businesses and homes.
· Pledge FloorCare Wood Squirt
Pledge FloorCare Wood Squirt protects the hardwood floor and helps to prevent dirt from collecting in grooves, making cleaning easier. The product also makes the floor super shiny and makes it have a good smell.
How to Deep Clean Hardwood Floors Naturally
To clean hardwood floors effectively, you will need to sweep and mop with one of the natural cleaning mixture and dry any pooling water. Some of the best ingredients to employ in this regard are baking soda and vinegar. Here are three ways to do it.
1. Lemon Juice and Oil Polish
- ½ bucket of warm water
- 1 cup of olive oil (500ml)
- ½ cup of lemon juice (250ml)
- Mix the ingredients in a mop bucket and stir thoroughly. The lemon is for grime removal whereas the oil is for shining the floor.
- Dampen the mop in this solution. Make sure the mop does not drip so as to avoid leaving paddles of water on the floor.
- Check for water pooling on the floor. If there is some pooling, remove it using a clean towel. This prevents water from soaking in and damaging the wood.
- After removing the pooling water, stay off the floor for a few minutes so as to give it time to dry on its own.
2. Removing Stain with Baking Soda and White Vinegar
- 1 White vinegar
- 1 Cup Baking Soda
- Mix the two ingredients to form a paste. This paste is very powerful in removing dark spots, pet stains and scuff marks without scrubbing the floor.
- Apply the paste on the stains using a non-abrasive sponge, brush or cloth. Allow the paste to sit until it dries. Afterwards, wipe it up and see if the stain has been removed.
- Alternatively, you can sprinkle baking soda on the floor and leave it overnight. Mop the flow with clean water, the following day.
3. Cleaning with Vinegar
- 1 cup of white vinegar
- A gallon of hot water
- Mix the white vinegar with water and stir thoroughly to get a natural cleaner that is effective on grime and dirt. Also, you need to mix vinegar very well, because too much of it can wear away the seal on the wood. You may also add to the mixture a few drops of essential oil such as lavender or lemon.
- Sweep the floor to remove debris and dirt before moping.
- Now, place the mop in the mixture and then wring it out before use. This will help to avoid water pooling on the floor.
- Move over the entire floor with the damp mop. You have to pass the mob over the floor several times to remove all dirt.
- When the mop starts leaving streaks, you will need to rinse it with hot water. You will also need to change out the cleaning solution in case it becomes dirty.
Tips for Maintaining Shiny Hardwood Floors
The only way to ensure that hardwood floors maintain their shine is to minimize scratches, dings and dents where possible. You will need to do the following:
- Keep pet nails short by trimming them regularly so as to avoid scratches on your floor.
- Keep the household furniture on soft pads to avoid damages to the floor.
- Clean up water or liquid spills right away to prevent moisture damage.
- Remove outdoor shoes and leave them on the doormat to minimize dirt and grime from finding its way on your hardwood floor.
- Regular sweeping will help to avoid the possibility of sand and dirt from damaging your floor surface over time.
- Avoid using ammonia or other abrasive cleaners or you will end up damaging the floor.
- Do not introduce water to a penetrating seal floor unless there is no alternative of cleaning the area.
- Reseal your floor after every 3 to 4 years
With good care your wooden floor can last longer, shine and bring warmth to your home.