Swiffer Wet Jet cleaner is a gadget that releases cleaning fluid on the surface to dissolve the dirt or soil. The attached wet pad wipes attracts the dissolved soil as it wipe out the extra solution as you make passes. Swiffer dry refill cloths may be used to remove debris and pet hair before moping with a wet pad.
Now the question is, can Swiffer Wet Jet be used on hardwood floors? According to the manufacture’s recommendation, Swiffer Wet Jet is safe on all finished wood floor whether using dry or wet refill cloths.
However, they discourage use of wet refills on unfinished, waxed or oiled floors. Finished wood floors are sealed with a protective top coat such polyurethane or varnish. The seal protects the underlying wood against daily wear and tear, liquid spillages and water penetration.
Hardwood floors should be completely dried off while cleaning. If you are using a mop you have to thoroughly wring out excess water. Deep cleaning with a steam mop has to be done with caution since the steam can penetrate through any small openings and reach the wood. That is why steam cleaning is only recommended for properly sealed wood flooring.
I have used once Swiffer Wet Jet Wood Floor Cleaner on my hardwood floor and after few passes it dissolved dirt effectively. I had to make several passes to clear spots and sticky grime. The scent was also amazing and the room was smelling good.
It was easy using the system, the pads dispensed appropriately. I was extremely cautious while using the wet mop as I ensured that the floor is properly sealed and no openings or cracks due to wear and tear. But I would advise you to stick to the dry refills if you are using Swiffer Mop on your hardwood floor when you are not sure of the nature of your floor.
I did not find it effective in accessing the corners and I was forced to use a traditional mop to clear the dirt that had piled up. There is a time the device stopped working and I tried to reach the manufacture’s support and luckily it started working again when I replaced the alkaline batteries and brushed the nozzles to remove any clogging. Those are the few shortfall I discovered.
Swiffer dry sweeping refill pads traps and lock dirt, dust, pet hair and debris. It is moistly used before using the wet mop. I like Vacuuming my hardwood floor before mopping and the results are always perfect.
You should also be aware that not any vacuum machine can be used on hardwood floors. There are special vacuums for hardwood floors that are designed to clean without scratching the surface.
Is the Swiffer Wet Jet Safe for Pets?
According to the Animal Poison Control Center of the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA), Swiffer has been recommended as safe to use with pets around. However it is important to store away from your furry friends any household cleaning solution. It can be harmful if they directly chew the pads or drink the solution.
It is always important to check on the label and read to find out if there is any warning against use with pets around. Most cleaning solvents are highly poisonous and if accidentally ingested by your pet immediately seek help from a veterinarian.
How do you assemble and use Swiffer Wet Jet?
The gadget comes in several parts packed in a box. Here is a quick guide on how to assemble and use:
- Connect together two poles connecting the handle to the main body by sliding them to align the notches
- Slide and open the battery compartment and insert four size AA alkaline non rechargeable batteries
- Attach the Wet Jet pad pint-side on the mop head
- Line up the arrow on the cleaning solution bottle with the pole and gently press for the bottle to fit into place
- Press the button on the handle to spray the solution directly onto the floor where you want to clean
- The solution will dissolves dirt or soil on the floor as you make passes to mop it away
- You should replace the Swiffer Wet Jet Pad after every use or when it has attracted too much soil
- The extra power pad is used when you are dealing with tough dirt and grime.
- When you are done, store your device for next time use.
Why does my Swiffer Wet Jet not working?
Your device my stop working due to various reason such as expired batteries, clogged nozzles or a general mechanical problem. However you can try the following to fix it:
- Ensure you are using AA alkaline batteries that are all new, insert in the right order and close the compartment well.
- During assembly, ensure you double check to find out if every part is rightfully placed.
- Gently brush the nozzles and ensure that they are not clogged.
- Check the refill bottle to ensure that it has enough solution. If it is empty, you need to refill before using the device.
- If it is not spraying, try to gently squeeze the solution bottle while pressing the spraying button.
- Try to hold the spay button for several seconds until the solution comes out.
- If none is working, see if you have the warrant and check with the supplier or call the manufacturers.
Regular cleaning is a great way of maintaining a hardwood floor for beauty and also longevity. While there are many products on the market for doing that, you need to be careful and get the right one. Bad cleaners can dull your floors. If you are dealing with water based cleaners, ensure your floor is properly sealed to avoid damaging the boards.
You MUST always be careful when using water based solutions or methods on a hardwood floor. Any excess standing water on your floor is potent of destroying your beautiful investment. Wood floor boards are highly absorbent and when you use anything that is too wet you are highly likely to end up with a warped, twisted and detached floor.